Sunday, October 08, 2006

Marie's Career Aptitudes

I got my Career Interest Report from Tickle.com (it's like a career aptitude test), and according to the results, my top 4 career areas are:

  1. Math and Science
  2. Education and Training
  3. Writing and Journalism
  4. Business Relations
Click to see graph in full size

Am I surprised with the results? No, though I did not expect Math & Science to be rated as my "top" field(s). I thought Writing & Journalism would have been my number 1 areas.

But then again, in university I did well in Economics, Calculus, and several Research Methods classes. So if that points to anything, I do have a knack for analyzing and interpreting raw data, even as I chose to devote myself more to studying stuff like literature and politics. And even when reading a literary piece, I see beyond the literal meaning of words/things. I enjoy decoding puzzles and sifting through multiple layers of meaning. So there: a perfectly workable (if pompous) rationalization of the results, to pacify/gratify myself. =)


I'm at a stage of my life where I'm trying to identify my purpose(s), so defining my career goals is always on my mind. Not that career = life purpose, but I figure if I have a career that builds on my strengths and enables me to accumulate some wealth and power, then eventually I'll be in a better position to serve some bigger purpose (and NO, I'm not talking about being a politician). I.e., in order to help others, I have to help myself first. Make myself strong before I offer to (help) carry some of the grander burdens of humanity.

No comments: