Sunday, October 15, 2006

Bittersweet Red-Ripe Autumn

(More pics while going through my writer's block)


A view from my window. When writer's block attacks and I'm staring at a blank computer screen, this is where my eyes tend to wander.


From inside looking out: Isn't it gorgeous?


Sometimes, I observe casual passers-by from my window. Here's a beautiful mellow couple, enjoying the cool autumn breeze.


One lovely sunshiny day in fall.


As fall arrives, the leaves mellow into hues of red and yellow.

I used to hate fall because it meant the end of summer, my favourite season. But as I get older, I find myself liking the fall season more and more. Regardless of the colder breeze, fall does carry with it some warm memories. Like memories of going back to school, of being a young and carefree gal again. Those bus trips to snow-capped Burnaby Mountain to attend my classes, the warm comforts of a woolen toque and jacket, eating lousy overpriced paninis for lunch, end-of-the-day supper and chat with boyfriends and girlfriends, my first forays into the darker sides of life, stepping on crunchy leaves while walking the damp streets of downtown Vancouver, staring at the gray sky with eyes ablaze with ambition and dreams, drugging myself with “caffeine plus,” writing and writing those damned term papers at night, episodic tantrums and nervous wreckage, laughing and crying and laughing again....

And now here I am, with a "those were the days" shrug and a happy smile on my face… and yet, I reminisce those younger years with a tinge of sadness. Man, I’m getting old(er).

Photos © 2006, mfdr

(RELATED POST: Naked, forlorn branches)

2 comments:

Azathoth100 said...

I've always loved fall. Being overwieght summer is just too hot for me, and while I do like the cold I hate snow so that takes care of winter. Spring and fall are the times when I can go for long walks and just enjoy the world the most. Of course they're the 2 shortest seasons, but thats just my luck.

Jay said...

I usually blame fall for taking away my summer months, but lately I feel like I'd better learn to embrace it, because it doesn't seem to be going away. I like the photos, especially the one of the couple. It's almost like being a peeping tom, but still obscured enough to grant them privacy and make me wonder.