G-G-Goddess of Mercy? Huh?
Okay, I haven't written a single poem since my first year in university. I don't know why I stopped writing poems, I just did.
Have you ever revisited some of your older work -- the awkward essays you wrote in grade school, your old poems full of gut-wrenching emotions, your old pics where you were dressed to kill and you thought you were so cool, that kind of stuff? Do you cringe when you see them? (I do.) Do you see a younger, more naive version of you? Does it make you think, "gee, have I ever grown a lot!"?
Here's one of the short poems I wrote as a teenager. It makes me go "huh? What the heck was I thinking?" ...because reading it now, 8 years later, at a different stage in my life, this poem seems oh-so-quaint. It's funny how mockingly detached I am now to this piece of work, because to my Younger Self back then, this poem was so potent with meaning! While writing it, I was humouring myself. Feeling vulnerable and afraid, I was. I was feeling that so-called teenage "angst," and this poem was an attempt to "freeze" a moment, a mood of soft anger and helplessness that was engulfing me at that particular point in time. As usual, I was being cryptic and cynical.
Without further ado, here it is. (Please don't laugh.)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Wink
The goddess of mercy winked at me.
Whatever the wink meant,
I don't know what nor why.
I'm not even sure
Whether she was, indeed, a goddess
Nor whether she was of mercy.
All I knew was that
I needed her compassion right then and there.
...but she could only wink.
© mfdr
(And here's one hot poem I wrote: Seduction)
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
(Image source: harmonize.com/wink)







1 comment:
they say that a writers biggest critic is themselves. I think its because when we write there is a feeling or emotion there at the time that isn't necessarily there when you later read it. The trick I think, is to read the poem as if it was written by someone else. Personally I think this one was a good one. (I have many friends who hate the fact that I have kept many of thier poems that they wrote when they were younger.)
Post a Comment